Bayside Community Center
Mission Statement: Bayside Community Center (BCC) empowers our diverse community to improve its quality of life through services, education and advocacy. A neighborhood-based organization serving the Linda Vista community, BCC believes that everyone—regardless of background, income or education—should have access to opportunities that challenge and enrich their lives.
Advancing Health and Wellness: Bayside Community Center (BCC) approaches health and wellness in a comprehensive manner, addressing the whole person’s needs and empowering individuals to be their own advocate. BCC offers a variety of social services and educational and advocacy-related programming that all strive to improve the Linda Vista community’s overall well-being.
- Services focus largely on supporting the community’s senior population by building a link between the seniors and local university nursing students, San Diego Community College District and San Diego County’s Aging Independence Services. These connections provide daily exercise classes (Feeling Fit), health and wellness education and weekly vital sign checkups as well as multicultural senior-related health curriculum (subjects related to memory, diseases, nutrition, etc.). Seniors also have access to daily donation-based Senior Luncheons, which particularly serves the low-income neighborhood.
- Improving health and wellness is also the focus of Bayside’s educational programming. BCC is home to the beautiful Linda Vista Community Garden, where local elementary school children and young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities learn the benefits of gardening and eating healthy. BCC also offers weekly free ESL and computer classes as well as a long-standing afterschool Academic Club program at local elementary schools. ESL-based 2nd and 3rd graders develop their reading and writing capabilities—a key factor in boosting one’s overall well-being.
- Bayside champions health and wellness through its advocacy efforts. As a proud Live Well San Diego partner striving to improve health, safety and thriving in our community, BCC empowers its community through Resident Leadership Academies (RLA). RLA students develop into community leaders, acquire the skills, tools and confidence to be the voice in their community and learn how to be advocates for positive social change.
Description: Bayside Community Center is located in an underserved, underinsured community rich in cultural and linguistic diversity: Linda Vista. We believe that everyone, regardless of background, income or education, should have access to opportunities that challenge and enrich their lives. Our vision is a city where every neighborhood has access to abundant resources that promote community connection, economic self-sufficiency, expanded educational and cultural opportunities and healthy living and general well-being.
Contact Information: Karen Hirschfeld; email@example.com; 858-278-0771 | www.baysidecc.org | Facebook
CEO / ED Video
Mission Support Grant Application Video
- One Linda Vista: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRI-L1wgtM
- MSG App. 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mnrlMbhfBY
- MSG App. 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiLb4h34yts