At Alliance Healthcare Foundation (AHF), we envision a San Diego and Imperial County region where equitable health resources lead to universal health and well-being. We work to advance health and wellness for the most vulnerable in San Diego and Imperial counties.
Our culture is open, collaborative, creative, forward moving, and innovative. This is a place for people with purpose, kindness, mastery, and a steadfast commitment to make a better world. Come join us!
We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. It is our policy to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination. We are a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
Please join our News & Events List to stay informed.
JOIN OUR NEWS & EVENTS LIST
SENIOR DIRECTOR OF STRATEGY AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Position Overview: The Senior Director of Strategy and External Relations will play an integral role in providing ongoing strategic support, visionary leadership, technical capacity, and project management for AHF across a variety of issue areas in both our grant making programmatic work, as well as through our impact investment portfolio. This position provides a unique, entrepreneurial opportunity to apply your skills, experience, and creativity to accelerate community impact.
The Senior Director of Strategy and External Relations is an engaged, connected individual that seeks and builds meaningful partnerships to lead the organization’s strategic direction. This role represents AHF at various tables, specifically those including senior and executive leadership; leads visionary thinking to achieve our mission; and seeks innovative opportunities to address systemic barriers for our communities.
To apply, please send your resume with a cover note to email@example.com
Attributes and Characteristics
- Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision, mission, and values; an ally of anti-racist work
- A demonstrated ability to represent organizations in professional engagement settings from local to national convenings (conferences, workshops, executive meetings, etc.)
- Proven track record of providing thoughtful, strategic, collaborative and effective executive leadership with measurable results
- Sociable and creative, as well as highly skilled and effective at implementation and follow-through
- Management experience required, with demonstrated ability to inspire and support teams with servant leadership approach
- Deep understanding of “systems-change,” and experience participating in and/or leading collaborative and successful systems-change efforts
- Passionate about and skilled at finding solutions to complex social issues and creating sustainable positive impact in partnership with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience working with public agencies, elected officials and other policy makers and staff across a variety of issues and topics.
- Highly organized and dependable; team-oriented “can-do” attitude
- Self-starter with grit, mastery, polish and excellent overall communication (oral and written) skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a natural preference and ability to work with others as part of a collaborative and high-performing team
- Excellent time management skills; ability to prioritize and consistently meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Coachable team player; adaptable and energized by frequently changing and new challenges
- Aptitude for proactively identifying and resourcefully resolving issues
Essential Job Functions
- Represent AHF internally and externally, in partnership with the Executive Director; strengthen and deepen connections to key audiences in San Diego and Imperial County
- Lead efforts to expand organizational reach to include new strategic partners
- Serve as the senior strategic advisor and lead on public affairs initiatives, including with local, regional and statewide public agency partners
- Develop and/or identify innovative, visionary opportunities for AHF to sustainably advance its mission
- Translate strategic plans into short and long-term outcomes with defined metrics
- Use data, analytics, and insights to determine initiative success
- Serve as the Foundation’s in-house policy expert that is up-to-date on key changes related to AHF’s mission and current portfolio of programs
- Provide thought leadership in close partnership with the Executive Director, Program and Communications Teams
- Regular presentations and strategic communication/thought-partnering with AHF’s board of directors and committee members
- Maintain an effective external profile with regional partners such as healthcare systems, government entities, public officials, executive teams, etc.
- Direct attention to pressing, emergent health and wellness issues in San Diego and Imperial
- Commit to the organizational value of advancing equity, and actively participate in AHF’s anti-racism learning journey
- Work collaboratively with the team to coordinate on strategic planning, high priority projects, etc.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and growth opportunities for all team members
- Explore and identify best practices from other organizations and regions to incorporate into AHF
Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- 10+ years of leadership / senior management level experience in philanthropy, policy, healthcare, government, or related field required
- Visionary and strategic thinking skills- great at connecting the dots and seeing patterns within systems and partnerships
- Knowledge and familiarity of the region and related policies and networks
- Proven experience in external leadership engagement
- Influencer, opportunistic, multi-tasker, and adapts to change well
- Direct experience working with government officials and staff around a variety of issue areas
- Mastery level skills with Microsoft Office Suite and intermediate computer skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
Alliance Healthcare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, veteran or other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.