Home Start, Inc.
Mission Statement: Home Start assures the safety and resiliency of children by strengthening families and their communities. Our goal is that every child in San Diego will be able to live in a safe and nurturing home.
Advancing Health and Wellness: For nearly 44 years, Home Start has provided services to promote well-being for San Diego’s most vulnerable populations. To effectively prevent and treat child abuse, Home Start addresses the conditions that put children in risky or abusive situations such as poverty, unsafe neighborhoods, lack of affordable housing and unemployment. These barriers are addressed concurrently with individual health, self-sufficiency and mental health needs.
Programs and Services:
- Community Services for Families (CSF) – Promotes child safety, child well-being and stable living environments for children.
- Covered California Navigator Program – Enrollment assistance for individuals and families.
- Mental Health Program – Provides counseling and therapy to individuals and families.
- Maternity Shelter Program (MSP) – Housing and services for homeless women ages 18-24 who are pregnant or parenting.
- Financial Opportunity Center (FOC) – Participants receive financial, employment and income support services.
- Family Self Sufficiency Services (FSS) – Working from a strength-based perspective, each client is a partner in creating their individualized services plan designed to help them achieve self-sufficiency.
Description: Collaboration remains an essential component within all of the programs and services Home Start offers in the community. It allows us to strategically expand on our services and reach out to more individuals in need. We currently work with agencies and groups some of which include: Public Health Nurses, Child Welfare Services, Black Infant Health, San Diego Domestic Violence Council, Family Health Centers of San Diego, United Way of San Diego County, elected officials at the local and state levels, community colleges, universities, libraries and community collaborative working groups.